Saturday, April 14, 2007
What is the money calf?
Every Easter the Finlinson and Fox families gather with other extended family members to participate in a special event called the Money Calf. I know you are all asking yourselves, what in the world is the money calf? I asked myself this same question over four years ago when Rob and I were engaged. The money calf is an event where the family gathers at Aunt Jo and Uncle Mike's indoor arena to compete for money. The special part about the event is where the money is located. You see, the money is duct taped to the horns, body, and stinky guacamole tails of steers. Once the money is securely fastened the steers are let loose in the arena. We all line up at the opposite end of the arena until the signal is given! Ready, set, and go! We all run around trying to get the money off of the steers! This event can be dangerous, and people have been injured. My first year participating, I was still try to impress my in-laws, and I gave it everything I had. I walked away with $15 dollars and a missing finger nail. This year no one was injured- thank heavens! Rob swears the steers are getting bigger every year! This year we walked away with no money....better luck next year! Possible earnings in this event exceed $400.00! You can see why we try not to miss this event! The pictures below really do not give the event justice! The only real excitment this year happened during the kids run (they use baby calfs instead of steers), one of the calfs ran out of the arena!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amanda & Rob Finlinson
Our Story...
- Amanda Finlinson
- Rob and I met in November of 2002 in the financial services office at BYU. After a very akward introduction, which involved me introducing myself in the third person, Rob called and asked me out. After a pretty amazing first date (its a long story-some other time), I confidently told Rob "that once he dated me he would never want to date anyone else." I really had no idea at that point that it was going to work out so well. We dated for the next five months and then one beautiful night on a bridge at Sundance resort, Rob and I got engaged. We were married four months later on August 16, 2003 in the Las Vegas, NV temple. And we have been living happily ever after since...

7 comments:
sounds like a fun tradition..."fun" being in the eyes of the beholder that is. could you see me chasing after a steer?!!!...no thanks.
Wow! Sounds like a great tradition and lots of fun! Good to see you a couple weeks ago! Sorry I had to run.
amanda!! hi, it is camilla. ashley sent me your blog. you look great and i cant believe you have been married for so long! how is the gough family?
lucas and i are just living it up in nyc. he is working at pwc and i am doing temp work. you guys should probably come visit us.
Wow--sounds like lots of fun--but I don't know if it would be worth $15 to me:) I also love the new look of your blog--very cute!!
Kelly- It really was not worth the $15! But it is always an entertaining experience!
Nicole- I can not see you ever chasing a steer. In fact that would be pretty dang funny to see you chase a steer.
I don't know if I would be able to get past the smell to even care about the money! This is the funniest tradition I have heard yet.
Oh my gosh that is the funniest tradition I have ever heard. Can i come next year ;) jk. So what fun things are you going to do with you moola? did i hear shopping spree?
Post a Comment