Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Medical Truth or Old Wives Tale?

Yesterday morning I had my first appointment with my high risk (perinatologist) doctor. This doctor will monitor the babies physical development and look more in depth at everything going on in my uterus. I will still see my normal OB (Dr. Volker) every few weeks, but in addition to Dr. Volker I will see this doctor every two weeks until I get close to delivering, than it will be every week. Anyway, during my ultrasound the technician was 90% sure that baby "b" is a boy. I am so excited! We really wanted at least one boy! Rob's only brother Scott and his wife Carrie just had their fourth child- a girl, so they now have 4 girls. There was some pressure from Grandpa Fred about having the Finlinson name carry on. So were thrilled that there will be a new Finlinson baby boy! I am only 13 weeks pregnant so it was still a little early to be 100% sure by looking at the baby. But 90% sure is enough for me to feel comfortable buying some baby clothes!

So what about baby "a"....well this baby is a little stubborn. He/she would not turn around so that we could take a look at the lower anatomy. I am determined that baby "a" is a girl. When they listened to the heart beats, baby "a" was at 182 bpm and baby "b" was at 150 bpm. Now legend has it that girl's have a faster heart beat and boys are usually a little slower! Based on this legend or myth, I am thinking that baby "a" is a girl. What do you think? I need your comments on this one. Is the faster heart beat something based on medical truth or is it an old wives tale? I won't get another shot at seeing baby "a" for another two weeks and I am looking for validation on my opinion! So please, tell me what you think!

15 comments:

Tara said...

I am not sure if I buy it...When I was pregnant with Caden and before I knew it was a boy, they kept telling me how active he was and how fast his heart rate was. The nurses teased it was a girl but they were wrong!

Miller Family said...

I thought there was so loose truth to that rule. I hope its a girl. You are so lucky, two for the price of one!

Mandy said...

i agree with crystal...hopefully it is a girl. what an ideal situation! the best of both worlds..im so excited for you

Kelly said...

At my first couple appts. my doctor bet me a milkshake that it was going to be a boy based on the heartbeat....but she was wrong. So I don't know. I've heard both ways..but they were wrong on mine... and I never got my milkshake!! That would be perfect though if you had both..so much fun!

Nicole Cave said...

It's a girl!!

KABSorensen said...

I say another boy!!!! I am hoping that I have a special power to see into the future. jk It would be cool to have one of each.

Mary Stuart said...

It would be so much fun if it was a girl. You could have the best of both worlds!!

Emilie said...

YEAH for BABY B. If a is a girl great best of both world, 2 for 1 you get the idea. If boy great baby b has little bro. Either way your golden. So excited for you.

Emilie said...

Oh yeah and I dont believe any of the heartbeat stuff. It was wrong with all 3 kids.

Kaymee said...

That is sooo exciting! That would be great to have one of each! Don't quite know about the heartbeat thing- I don't think it was right with Cody :)

Mandy said...

Amanda-
First, this is Mandy (Brown) Hansen. I stumbled on your blog b/c you were a link on someone elses and my two year old likes to touch buttons!!

Anyhow, CONGRATULTAIONS! That is so awesome that you are pregnant-and with twins! I am so happy for you. I hope you are feeling well and best of luck in your pregnancy!

Nicole Cave said...

Hey have you found out what the other baby is yet? Just wondering.

Tiffani said...

Me too. Have you seen any more "lower anatomy"???

Janae said...

Amanda,
Send me your e-mail so that I can send you an invite to my blog. My e-mail is janaewirig@gmail.com. To comment on the babies, I think it is a gir! Talk to you soon!

Jennelle said...

Amanda! I heard you had a blog through Clint's sister, Laura. So I browsed through all of these people I didn't know to find you! Congratulations on the twins! I think I am about as far along as you are, but I'm only having one baby! My email is jennelletemple@hotmail.com. Email me so we can get in touch!

Jennelle Walker

Amanda & Rob Finlinson

Amanda & Rob Finlinson

Our Story...

Rob and I met in November of 2002 in the financial services office at BYU. After a very akward introduction, which involved me introducing myself in the third person, Rob called and asked me out. After a pretty amazing first date (its a long story-some other time), I confidently told Rob "that once he dated me he would never want to date anyone else." I really had no idea at that point that it was going to work out so well. We dated for the next five months and then one beautiful night on a bridge at Sundance resort, Rob and I got engaged. We were married four months later on August 16, 2003 in the Las Vegas, NV temple. And we have been living happily ever after since...