Monday, November 26, 2007

The Finlinson Twins have arrived!

So on Monday, November 19, 2007 our precious little daughters decided they needed to come into the world. Despite my best efforts of keeping them in my tummy (two long weeks of bed rest), I have learned that I am not in control. I woke up that morning feeling a little uncomfortable, but not really having what I thought were contractions. So instead of hurrying to the hospital I took a bath and tried to relax. About thirty minutes after my bath I decided I should probably just go to the hospital and get checked. I really did not think I was in labor at all. So my mom came over, picked me up, and rushed me to the hospital. She was driving so fast I think she made my contractions worse! While I was in the car, I decided I better time these "small cramps" that I was having. To my surprise they were coming about 5 minutes apart! I couldn't believe it! So when I got to labor and delivery at Summerlin Hospital I was happy to see my awesome perinatalogist in the hallway checking on other patients. She saw me come in and rushed over to check me out. I was dialated 4 cms and was in active labor! What! I couldn't believe it! At that point, the nurse was still trying to get the heart beats of the babies on the fetal monitors...after several attempts she could not get there heartbeats. At this point, I started to cry! I haven't really stopped since! Anyway, my awesome doctor came in again and kicked the nurse out and found the babies heartbeats on the ultrasound. She also discovered that the babies were totally wrapped around each other and needed to be delivered. So Dr. Pierce called Dr. Volker and I was scheduled for a C-Section in thirty minutes. Thank heavens Rob made it just in time. He threw on some scrubs and they rushed us into the operating room. I was still crying, and scared to death. The babies were so not ready to come! I was only 31 weeks and 6 days! They were not ready and I was not ready! How could this be happening!There were so many nurses and doctors in the delivery room for the babies. I have never been so scared in my whole life. And everything was happening so fast, I didnt even get time to think about what was going on.
Anyway, at 12:05pm little Camden May Finlinson was born, weighing 3lbs 12 oz, measuring 16 inches long. She was so little, and I only got to see her for a split second over the sheet. The only comfort I had at this point was that I could hear her crying...and that was a good sign! Then at 12:06pm little Emma Jeanne Finlinson was born, weighing 3lbs 12 oz, and measuring 17 inches long. Thank heavens she was crying too! I saw her for a split second before my husband and both babies were rushed to the NICU. I was left crying on an operating table, still wondering how in the world I got there. The doctor decided it would probably be a good idea to give me a mild sedative at this point. I think he was very wise. Needless to say it was a very fast and crazy delivery, but the girls are here! And they are beautiful!
Since the delivery it has been so many crazy ups and downs with each baby. Both spent the first night in the NICU being observed and checked. Little Emma was having a hard time breathing on here own, and was immediately put on a ventilater. Camden has been so amazing for how little she is. She has been breathing on her own since birth and was transfered to the level 2 nursery the very next day. Emma's week has been a little different story. After an x-ray the doctors discovered that she had PDA. Which means that one of her heart valves had not closed at birth. It is something that a lot of premature babies are diagnosed with. Because the valve had not closed fluid was going into her lungs, which was why it was hard for her to breath. Luckily, they could treat Emma with a three day dose of medicine to close it up without having to do surgery. It closed up right away and we are happy to report that she was taken off of her ventilater yesterday. She is still on some oxygen through her nose, but she is progressing remarkably. We are so blessed! Camden after a few days of fluids has started to process milk through her tube in her nose down to her stomach. It will be a long time before these little girls will be able to eat on their own...it will be a long time before they can do a lot of things! Our prayer for today is that Emma will soon be able to join Camden in the level 2 nursery. It is going to be a long time before they can come home, and we would just love for them to be in the same room with each other! My other hope is that I can hold Emma soon! She is one week old today and I still have not held her in my arms. I really have not stopped crying since they were born! No one should ever have to see their babies in the NICU! At the same time, thank heavens for modern medicine and all the wonderful doctors and nurses that have helped our daughters. Thank you all for all of your prayers and support. We love you all and ask you to keep praying for them to get better everyday!

So much has happened this week, what I have written does not begin to cover everything! I will try to be better about posting updates! But I make no promises! I spend my days at the hospital with the most beautiful baby girls ever born! We have been so blessed!

12 comments:

Mary Stuart said...

I am so happy to hear from you! I have been checking your blog daily to see of you were going to post any news! I have been contacting Melanie for info! I am beyond happy that the girls are growing stronger. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is for you and Rob right now. The girls are fighters though and they are going to be home before you know it. Stay strong and know that we are all saying prayers for your little family.

Tiffani said...

I can't even imagine not getting to hold my baby right away. I would still be crying too! My heart goes out to you guys!

Mull Family said...

Congratulations! This must be so scary and stressful for you. I remember how hard that was on Crystal when Max was in the hospital, but everything worked out just fine, and I'm sure it will for you guys too. I will keep you guys in my prayers, and I am anxious to hear more news about your two little cuties.
-Cherie

Tara said...

Thank you for sharing those adorable pictures with us. They are both so tiny and cute! I can't imagine how tough this is on you, but hang in there. We are all praying for you and your little family. I can't wait to meet them. Love ya!

Erica said...

I am Tara and Ashlee's big sister. I have twin girls too. They were born premature and spent some time in the NICU too. My heart and prayers go out to you. I hatednot seeing them together. The day they put them in a crib together was marvelous. Just remember to take care of you right now. I remember thinking back to the time that my girls were in the NICU, and don't get me wrong, I wish they had gone home with me, but it was a great time for me to heal. Heavenly Father knew I needed that time to get better myself, and get ready to take care of those two sweethearts. I wish you guys the best, and can't wait to see more pictures. It brings back so many memories.

Miller Family said...

Oh, reading this made me both happy and sad. My first born Max came at 25 1/2 weeks and weighed 1 pound 14 ounces. He was in the NICU forever and it certainly wasn't the welcome into motherhood I imaged. I remember that same picture you described of when they rip a baby out of your tummy and all you catch is a quick glance and off they go. I remember those first long days. I can remember having a conversation with Ryan and really letting it all out for the first time (I'm not really a crier by nature). Ryan said "he is okay, he is doing okay, the doctors say he's stable." And I remember just shouting out "I'm not worried about his body right now, I'm worried if he's scared or lonely, or wondering where his mother is!" That was what pained me most, not being about to comfort him like I wanted. Quickly the peace of our Heavenly Father comforted me and I learned that Heavenly Father sends his angels to hold his little ones until we can. I am sure you have already learned the same thing.
Max also had a PDA (which ultimately had to be closed with surgery). Im so glad your little one responded to the medicine (indocine I think?) He was only 2.5 pounds when they did the surgery and I think it was one of the longest hours of my life! We will keep them, and you, in our prayers. I am sure your girls will be home in no time! I have a lot of very little preemie clothes, let me know if you need some. There is a store in Provo that sells clothes for babies 2 pounds and up. I think it is called mommy and me or something like that. All our love!

Nicole Cave said...

I cannot relate to having a baby in the NICU, but I do know what it is like to have a baby...nothing compares to all the feelings you have...most of all just how blessed and grateful and happy you are at that moment. I pray that everything continues to go great for you all...they are beautiful. Thanks for sharing, and letting me be a bit worried about my up and coming delivery!! Love ya. Kiss them both from all the Caves!!

Amber said...

oh my gosh! i am so excited for you and your little family. what a blessing to have the power of the priesthood at such an unsure time in your life. i'm sure it's presence was calming. we will continue to pray for ya'll!!

Jen Howick said...

Congratulations Rob and Amanda! We are very excited for the safe arrival of your gorgeous twins... We can't wait to meet them someday! Love, Jen and Brian Howick and kids...

Lauren said...

Wow, that had me bawling... such an unsure and tender time. They are so fresh from Heavenly Father, I am sure he is watching over them--and you--closely. Love, Lauren

alma and nicole smith said...

you know i also know how you feel. its like nothing else...and you cannot adequately describe your feelings. it is a bitter sweet time. no time in my life did i feel closer to my savior (our childs savior) that the first couple months of jaggers life. people always tell you they dont know how you are handling it (which i know doest help) but you just do because you have to. i love you amanda, and am happy that they are here and seem to be progressing. that is your biggest concern yeah? the powers and abilities of motherhood are amazing. mothers are amazing!! and im sure you are already a great one, even if it doesnt seem like you can do much. their bodies are here, but they are still very much conected to our savior. we are so blessed to be given these choice spirits. i have an email to send to you that really helped alma and i out during this time. i will try to remember to send it soon. on the bright side, other mothers dont have this time to sleep and recover!! i was really glad for that. i look at jagger now and cant believe he was so early, so small, and so helpless for so long. he is the joy of our lives and your two girls will get through this just like he did. call me anytime!

Kaymee said...

Congratulations!! I've been thinking about you, sweets!! You are in our prayers

Amanda & Rob Finlinson

Amanda & Rob Finlinson

Our Story...

Rob and I met in November of 2002 in the financial services office at BYU. After a very akward introduction, which involved me introducing myself in the third person, Rob called and asked me out. After a pretty amazing first date (its a long story-some other time), I confidently told Rob "that once he dated me he would never want to date anyone else." I really had no idea at that point that it was going to work out so well. We dated for the next five months and then one beautiful night on a bridge at Sundance resort, Rob and I got engaged. We were married four months later on August 16, 2003 in the Las Vegas, NV temple. And we have been living happily ever after since...