Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Goodbye Harrison!

On Saturday, we said goodbye to our long time friend- Harrison. Harrison was our Ford Explorer that has been with us since Rob and I were dating. Harrison has been showing signs of death for the last few weeks and we knew it was time to get a vehicle that would be a little safer for our growing family. So we cleaned Harrison up and took him to the dealership to say goodbye! Rob and I were actually a little shocked at how disappointed we felt. I mean Harrison was old, and did not have any of the great ammenties of most cars today. Why should we feel so sad to say goodbye to him, when we were getting a new car!! The whole drive to the dealership we talked about all the great adventures we had with Harrison! Getting stuck in the stream in the mountains while doing some "light" off roading, going camping, long talks while driving to and from Las Vegas and Provo, these are just a few of the great times! And just because Harrison was going to leave the family did not mean that we would forget all the good times! So I was feeling a little blue....until we found the new car! We bought a new Ford Expedition with lots of amenties, and now I am not feeling so bad about Harrison! Ha!

The new car does not have a name yet...she/he has not been part of the family long enough! But we are very excited about the new vehicle, and all the precious cargo that it will be keeping safe in the very near future!

Do you guys name your cars?

11 comments:

Mandy said...

i have never named my cars. how did you come up with harrison? you should post some pics of you in your snazzy new car. i cant wait for the day when we can get a new/roomier vehicle

Kaymee said...

You are cute amanda!! I have been waiting for a new post, like pics of the larger more pregnant you!!! let's see 'em :P Congrats of the NEW car!! I love new cars! Are names are more like nicknames: ole blue-blue truck, alti- the altima, trucky, and Ta-higity- the tahoe. nothing fun and creative.

Nicole Cave said...

Ok, you guys are so funny. I don't think I have ever named a car, but it is a great idea because you do get attached!! I remember Ashton's truck when we were dating, piece of crap it was, but the heater worked well and most of the months we were dating were cold. It is such memories to think of that truck. You should post a picture of Harrison, and we just bought a new car too, so after you name yours maybe you could name mine!!:)

Melea said...

Jeff names old cars...but new ones he says they don't have as much personality. He has a 1972 Chevy Nova when we first met. He called her Stella. We had to sell Stella to pay for dental school interviews. So sad! A name has never really caught on with our new car...we still don't even know if it is a he/she. It's a toyota corolla sport, so it is kind of feminine and also a bit masculine. If I had to choose a gender, I would say it is a gay he car. In that case, we should name his Steve...Steve is the epitomy of gay names to Jeff. Sorry to all those named Steve! Nothing personal. :)

Lauren said...

I named my car! It's the color of a Mallard duck so I named 'her' Mally. Mike says people that name cars are more prone to road rage. :) -Lauren

alma and nicole smith said...

ALWAYS! we had to say good-bye to Alex or "the stain" a while ago...alma's poop brown truck because we never were able to ride in it together with jagger. it was a sad day, so i know how you feel. my car is called "the numchuck", chuckie for short...she's the best.

Brigg and Dianne said...

Hi Amanda! Your post made me laugh. I named our cars, even though Brigg doesn't call them by their names, only I do. Brigg's red pickup is called The Red Rocket, and our Honda Accord has the letters PLR on the license plate, so I was going to call her Pilar, but my brother calls it The Pillar of Autumn (some xbox Halo reference). Pretty silly, huh?

Cherie said...

I name my cars, but only the ones with personality. My first car was named Betty because from far away, she looked pretty nice, but up close... oh my! She was a junker, but I sure loved her. Since Betty, I haven't been as dedicated to the names. We have a Jimmy which we got really creative with and call "Jimmy" (I know, I am a creative genius). Our other call, is definitely a girl, but we've never really been able to settle on a name... I think she's just not interesting enough yet, and she doesn't have all the good times that our other cars had... we won't give up on her just yet though. Congrats on the new car!

ken said...

CONGRATS! I want to see the new one-- I love Expeds... Ken names his cars, and I never have (surprised?). His old truck was Samson... it was sad to see that one go. I don't think he's wanted to even bother naming my car since he lost that truck... ;)

Taylor said...

You should at least 100 days to name your car. A little known fact. The chinese wait 100 days to name Panda bears...true story.

Nicole S said...

WOW! Congrats on the new car! You are a good writer. I found your blog and added it to mine so I can stay updated with you! Where are you at now? How is the pregnancy??

Amanda & Rob Finlinson

Amanda & Rob Finlinson

Our Story...

Rob and I met in November of 2002 in the financial services office at BYU. After a very akward introduction, which involved me introducing myself in the third person, Rob called and asked me out. After a pretty amazing first date (its a long story-some other time), I confidently told Rob "that once he dated me he would never want to date anyone else." I really had no idea at that point that it was going to work out so well. We dated for the next five months and then one beautiful night on a bridge at Sundance resort, Rob and I got engaged. We were married four months later on August 16, 2003 in the Las Vegas, NV temple. And we have been living happily ever after since...